Helping Tenants & Leaseholders end their suffering of living in unsuitable housing.

Call our helpline on 0800 047 2017

In 2023 our telephone helpline gave advice to over 54,000 households.

Tenants Advice is a claims management company. it is possible to make a claim yourself through the Housing Ombudsman Service for free.

Our Commitment to Varied Experiences & Complex Needs.

Our approach acknowledges that people from different backgrounds will have varying experiences of multiple and complex needs. It’s important that our cause represents everyone.


If you are a person with a visual impairment or low vision you can request our advice in braille.


If you are hard of hearing we do also have a text/WhatsApp service that is available. We can also work with text relay UK to assist you further.


If English is not your first language, we do specialise in many other languages.

Do You Need Help Getting Your Home Repaired?

You do not need to suffer in silence as tenants have rights too! If you have notified your landlord of issues with your home and these have been left unattended, you are legally entitled to seek legal advice or for a solicitor to make your landlord carry out your home repairs. You could be eligible to claim for housing disrepair if your home has any of the below issues.

Damp and Mould

Ongoing Leaks

Rotten Windows and Doors

Rodent, Cockroach and Pigeon Infestations

Faulty & Non-functioning Boiler or heating systems

See how we’ve helped our customers.

Unfinished dangerous light fitting Improved safe light fitting

Dangerous, exposed light fitting.

damaged mould ridden wall finished replastered wall

Fully repaired wall.

Replastered wall.

Living With Outstanding Repairs?

Call our helpline today.

0800 047 2017

Questions we often hear.

If you haven’t found the answer you were looking for in our FAQ’s below, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us directly. We’re here to assist you!

Does my tenancy agreement affect my right to claim?

The type of tenancy agreement you have can affect your rights and responsibilities. Generally speaking, if you do not have exclusive use of any part of a property, you have a license to occupy. If you have exclusive use of part or the whole of the property, you are likely to have an assured or short-hold tenancy agreement.

Our experienced team of advisers can help you establish your rights with regards to your individual circumstances. Simply complete our online claim enquiry form to establish your right to make a claim.

What legal obligations does my landlord have?

Your landlord is under no obligation to improve your property, however, they are legally required to carry out repairs in order to maintain the property and ensure your safety.

They are specifically responsible for: The structure and exterior of the premises; Water pipes and instillations relating to water usage – such as baths, sinks, drainage systems and toilets; Gas pipes and electrical wiring; Heating systems (excluding cookers);

Will I be entitled to compensation?

If you have a valid claim for housing disrepair, aside from compelling the landlord to repair your property, you can also claim compensation for:

  • Inconvenience caused;
  • Damage to personal property;
  • Personal injury or ill health resulting from the disrepair – including respiratory illness caused by damp conditions;
  • Any financial losses suffered as a result of the failure to rectify the disrepair.
How much will I have to pay?

A no win, no fee agreement is a simple way of ensuring your costs are covered if you need to take legal action due to your council/housing association property being in an unliveable condition. Also known as a conditional fee agreement (CFA), it means that the lawyer representing you in the case will not take any payment until the end of the case.

In the event of a loss, the lawyer will take no fee and there will be no cost to the client at all.

After signing the CFA, there is a 14 day “cooling off” period during which the client may cancel at no cost. After this ’14 Day Cooling off’ period, any cancellation may incur legal fees, this is something that your panel solicitor would be able to advise you on. Our Panel of Solicitors will deduct 25% of any compensation awarded plus VAT.

If your case is successful, then the legal fees will be paid for by the client’s housing association or council. The solicitor will also take a deduction of any compensation received. We do not charge you a fee for our service, and you do not pay us any fee at any point for our service. If your claim is successful, we will be paid a fee for referring your claim to one of our panel Solicitor/Lawyer.

Call us on 0800 047 2017 to receive specialist advice on how Tenants Advice can assist you further.


How much compensation will I receive?

Each case is individual. The amount of compensation received is dependent on the severity of the disrepair, how long it has been an issue and the effect it has had upon you.

How long will it take to process my claim?

Each case is individual. On average, housing disrepair claims undertaken by our team are generally settled within a matter of months. During this time, we act entirely on your behalf, removing any stress from the process.

What do I need to do?

You need to report your housing issues to your landlord via telephone or writing. If the landlord does not fix the repairs within a reasonable period of time, you can get in touch with us. We will either provide free housing advice or force your landlord to carry out the repairs.

Knowing Who Is Responsible For What.

Landlord responsibilities

Landlord’s Responsibilities

Your landlord is responsible for most repairs in your home. They should make sure that your home is safe and free from any hazards.

Their responsibilities include repairs to:

  • Electrical wiring
  • Gas pipes and boilers
  • Heating and hot water
  • Chimneys and ventilation
  • Sinks, baths, toilets, pipes, and drains.
  • Common areas including entrance halls and stairways.
  • The structure and exterior of the building.
Tenant responsibilities

Tenant’s Responsibilities

You must treat your home with care, you may be charged for repairs or damage that do not count as fair wear and tear.

This means:

  • Keeping your home reasonably clean
  • Safety checks on electrical appliances you own
  • Keeping gardens or outside areas in a reasonable state
  • Minor maintenance such as changing light bulbs or smoke alarm batteries